Every new season I can’t help but choose my favourites, whether it’s new colours or tunics. I’ve been especially anticipating some beautiful new heather bamboo in green and blue. Heather Forest is a deep mossy green marbled with black and Heather Lake is a soft slatey dark blue with just a touch of cream. Here’s my pick’s of the Fall 2017 tunics.
The Renew Wrap Tunic
My top pick this year is a mock wrap tunic with a mock wrap belt called the Renew Wrap. We all love V necks and wraps are universally flattering and lovely. But they can be fussy to fit and sit right on the body. Hence the mock feature, all of the look but none of the fuss. Same goes for a tie belt. This tunic has all the great advantages of these features with absolutely no fuss, you just slip it over your head and its ready to go. It’s a really flattering shape (gives you a waist even if you don’t have one!) and in this fabulous Forest green colour, it’s my top pic for sure.
The Vision Tunic in Black & Steel
My fav tunic of all time is the Playful tunic partly because of the V neck, extra room around my tummy and 2 handy pockets. But it’s time for a new fav, The Vision Tunic is the ticket. The same functional features that have always made it work for me but also added stripes, colour blocking and seam details to change up the look.
Mixed Media Tunic in Heather Lake (coming soon)
Not too far off is a brand new style I’ve called Mixed Media Tunic. It combines sold black bamboo with the Heather lake shade and also Heather Lake blue in a beautiful herringbone jacquard. I can’t wait for this tunic in this colour, it’s lovely and quite unique. With vertical seam lines, an asymmetrical hem, handy pocket, V neck…it’s got all the hallmarks of becoming one of my favourite tunics. Can wait!
Do you love your tummy?
Chances are you have mixed feelings about this particular body part. A lot of people carry their weight in the tummy area, that’s just a fact. And while we aren’t going to tell you to break out the crop top and show the world how much you love your belly, we do have some great pieces that will make you look amazing and feel confident that your tummy isn’t the first thing you notice when you look in the mirror. Bring on the Tunic!
What makes a tunic so special?
Our tunics are designed to accentuate the curves you love and skim and flow over your tummy area. Viscose from Bamboo fabric is unbelievably soft. It has a silky, smooth feel and luxurious drape that glides over your body. An extra bit of “swing” is factored into the stomach area to create an easy flowing silhouette and added comfort. This additional care is taken in the design of all our tops, not just tunics but jackets and vests, too. And yes, they are all designed to be layered and work together.
Invest in a Vest?
Our Recharge Vest is a perfect example of a well thought out design that makes layering so easy. This vest pairs perfectly with tunic and tops of all sleeve lengths. A one button design and a box pleat in the back make for an easy fit and a flattering drape in the midsection. Why not try a vest? It adds so much interest and fun weather worn over a tunic, a tee shirt, or a blouse.
Love It All!
We want to be able to love all of our body parts, even the ones that we are taught to hate. This is one of the steps to living a proud, confident, self-loving life. When we wear clothing that fits just right, accentuate the areas we choose and flatter the areas that challenge us it becomes just a little easier to see the whole picture and be our best selves.
Be kind to yourself!
While we know that our Diane Kennedy customers are die hard pant wearers, every once in awhile an occasion arises that may require the wearing of a dress. Did you know that Diane Kennedy also designs Cherry Velvet dresses? They’re classic, vintage inspired, and fit like a dream. Diane has put the same attention to detail into the fit and quality of Cherry Velvet dresses as she does with Diane Kennedy clothing. These dresses are made from high quality 100% cotton for breathability and are machine washable. If you hang them up to dry and spend a few minutes smoothing the seams and pockets, you can almost always get away without ironing them.
“We spend an enormous amount of time fitting our designs on assorted body types so that when you try the dress on it feels like it’s been custom made just for you! You’ll love how your bra straps are always covered and how almost every dress has pockets!!!” – Diane Kennedy
If you must wear a dress how about something in a classic style that can be worn for many occasions?
Chrissy is a wonderful style for your dressy occasion. It features a lovely flattering V neck, slimming mock wrap bodice, a full skirt and of course pockets! We’ve got some beautiful new prints including an amazing Chrysanthemum print in the beautiful shades of an autumn garden in full bloom.
Olivia features a modest scoop neckline making it a great choice for the office or a luncheon with a cardi. But don’t be shy; Olivia looks extra party-worthy with some sparkle. One of our new prints, Harvest Bloom will bring a Fall garden straight to your closet.
Marie has short pleated sleeves, fitted bodice, pockets and a full skirt. The best part? A zipper up the front! Adjust the zipper to suit yourself for more or less coverage. It’s a great style to go from the office straight to a date night. It has a shirt style collar that pairs perfectly with a short jacket or your favourite cardigan. We love the new Jet Set print with vintage travel posters from great cities around the world. This dress would be perfect for your next vacation 🙂
There are so many styles and prints to choose from, check them out for yourself online here or at our next Studio Shop:
Fri, Sept 8th from 2pm-7pm
Sat, Sept 9th from 11am-5pm
Hope to see you there!
There a lot of style tips for plus size women out there often written by and for young women. They encourage pushing limits with things like crop tops, tight across the tummy dresses and very short skirts. We believe that young women need to be encouraged and supported around body image and self-love. But… some of us are a little older now and maybe not so comfortable showing our belly off! Here are some style tips for all you babes over 40 (give or take). Not a crop top in the bunch!
- Get a Proper Bra fitting done: Ill-fitting undergarments can make even the best designs fall flat. If your weight tends to fluctuate, your bra size will as well. So, take note and make sure that you have been fitted properly. Bumps and lumps sticking out in the wrong places can make even the cutest clothes unflattering.
- Bigger accessories! A large chunky necklace or stunning arm cuff can really work on curvy girls. This is where bigger looks better on most curvy women; the key here is proportion. If you are larger, dainty accessories may look out of place. Just be sure to balance it out. Wear a large necklace and then smaller earrings. If you choose a large statement earring, balance it with a cuff, but no necklace.
- Make sure it FITS: Some curvy women have a tendency to buy clothes too large, or sometimes too small. If it is too big, it can make you look like you are hiding something and too clingy doesn’t work either. Make sure you have the right fit. There is nothing wrong with getting a little tailoring done to your garments so they fit just right.
- If you are unsure about something, go for simple. If it feels like a garment has too many frills or buttons, then it probably does (for you). Maybe it suits another woman just fine but doesn’t work for your body. When it doubt, simpler is better.
- You CAN wear Colour! Even though Black is universally flattering, you don’t have to limit your wardrobe to black or other “slimming” shades. A deep red tunic or turquoise skirt can look fashionable and stunning on your curvy body. Just make sure it fits properly and then choose your favourites.
- Show a little skin! A beautiful V-neck, baring your shoulders or even showing your arms is not only flattering but is often the most suitable for night-time dressing. Designers that are cutting clothes for curvy girls often address this with flattering cut-outs, like our Observe Tunic or our Experiment Tee
- The Fitted Jacket! A jacket or vest that nips in at the waist and buttons comfortably is an invaluable addition to any outfit. It creates a nice shape while still allowing layering. It’s also a great way to take short sleeved or sleeveless pieces into the next season.
- Pant leg widths! You may want to experiment with this one. This is all about the silhouette and your own body type. For some women, a legging or a skinny leg works wonders with a tunic top. If you’re bigger in the hips or have heavy legs, a wide leg pant may create the most flattering look for you.
- Choose the right fabric! Natural-sourced fabrics in knits are a great idea for a couple of reasons. For one, they just feel better on your skin and offer more breathability and comfort in general. Knits with a nice weight will tend to flow over curves instead of bunching and binding. This creates better lines in your clothing.
Let’s face it, you know yourself better than anyone. My biggest tip would be to wear what makes you feel good and don’t be afraid to push the boundaries of what you already know.
Love Barb XO
I’ve always been both a pattern maker and a designer and therefore do things a little differently than most clothing designers. I tend to get my best ideas for new designs as I’m actually creating the pattern. As most designers aren’t hands on with the making of the actual patterns only a few use this method. Another advantage of this practice for me is that I get to impart my fit expertise to the patterns right from the get-go. This is a huge advantage as a plus size woman and designer/pattern maker; I completely understand how to make the design fit and flatter ALL sizes of women.
You may know that designers work a whole season ahead and so I’m just finishing designing for Spring 2018. So some of my process is really fresh in my head and this is what I’d like to share with you
Some of my best and most unique ideas come just as I am playing around with an idea in my head and then as I am manipulating the pattern pieces on the computer screen. That’s exactly how the Smarty Pants came into being. I had an idea, started fooling around with the patterns, and before I knew it I had a really cool pair of pants!
Coming next Spring…shhhh
I came up with a theory for another pair of unusual pants. The whole entire pant leg, front and back is actually created from one pattern piece. It wraps around the leg so that there’s absolutely no side seams or inner leg seams. To see if something’s going to work, occasionally I’ll print out a mini version of the pattern on paper and cut it out like a paper doll. That can save time and fabric plus it’s kind of fun. The resulting pant came out super cool but so sorry you’re going to have to wait until next spring to actually see it. (As it is I feel like I’m giving away a trade secret here!)
This photo shows another new item that’s coming for spring that’s actually going to be a bit of a jumpsuit/play suit merge. I start building the pattern from former designs (often referred to as blocks) They are the building blocks of the new pattern. If you look closely below you can see what originally was a tank top and a pair of capris. I can’t wait to show you!
I love working this way, as I’m very much a hands on person in so many aspects of my business. I hope you’ve enjoyed this little behind the scenes peek into my work as a designer!