There a lot of style tips for plus size women out there often written by and for young women. They encourage pushing limits with things like crop tops, tight across the tummy dresses and very short skirts. We believe that young women need to be encouraged and supported around body image and self-love. But… some of us are a little older now and maybe not so comfortable showing our belly off! Here are some style tips for all you babes over 40 (give or take). Not a crop top in the bunch!
- Get a Proper Bra fitting done: Ill-fitting undergarments can make even the best designs fall flat. If your weight tends to fluctuate, your bra size will as well. So, take note and make sure that you have been fitted properly. Bumps and lumps sticking out in the wrong places can make even the cutest clothes unflattering.
- Bigger accessories! A large chunky necklace or stunning arm cuff can really work on curvy girls. This is where bigger looks better on most curvy women; the key here is proportion. If you are larger, dainty accessories may look out of place. Just be sure to balance it out. Wear a large necklace and then smaller earrings. If you choose a large statement earring, balance it with a cuff, but no necklace.
- Make sure it FITS: Some curvy women have a tendency to buy clothes too large, or sometimes too small. If it is too big, it can make you look like you are hiding something and too clingy doesn’t work either. Make sure you have the right fit. There is nothing wrong with getting a little tailoring done to your garments so they fit just right.
- If you are unsure about something, go for simple. If it feels like a garment has too many frills or buttons, then it probably does (for you). Maybe it suits another woman just fine but doesn’t work for your body. When it doubt, simpler is better.
- You CAN wear Colour! Even though Black is universally flattering, you don’t have to limit your wardrobe to black or other “slimming” shades. A deep red tunic or turquoise skirt can look fashionable and stunning on your curvy body. Just make sure it fits properly and then choose your favourites.
- Show a little skin! A beautiful V-neck, baring your shoulders or even showing your arms is not only flattering but is often the most suitable for night-time dressing. Designers that are cutting clothes for curvy girls often address this with flattering cut-outs, like our Observe Tunic or our Experiment Tee
- The Fitted Jacket! A jacket or vest that nips in at the waist and buttons comfortably is an invaluable addition to any outfit. It creates a nice shape while still allowing layering. It’s also a great way to take short sleeved or sleeveless pieces into the next season.
- Pant leg widths! You may want to experiment with this one. This is all about the silhouette and your own body type. For some women, a legging or a skinny leg works wonders with a tunic top. If you’re bigger in the hips or have heavy legs, a wide leg pant may create the most flattering look for you.
- Choose the right fabric! Natural-sourced fabrics in knits are a great idea for a couple of reasons. For one, they just feel better on your skin and offer more breathability and comfort in general. Knits with a nice weight will tend to flow over curves instead of bunching and binding. This creates better lines in your clothing.
Let’s face it, you know yourself better than anyone. My biggest tip would be to wear what makes you feel good and don’t be afraid to push the boundaries of what you already know.
Love Barb XO